Warm Spinach-Parmesan Dip
- 2 tablespoons butter - (1/4 stick)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 3/4 cups chopped onion
- 6 large garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chicken stock (or canned low-salt chicken broth)
- 1/2 cup whipping cream
- 1 package ready-to-use fresh spinach leaves - (10 oz)
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese - (packed)
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- Baguette slices toasted
Melt butter with oil in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté until onion is tender, about 6 minutes. Add flour; stir 2 minutes. Gradually whisk in stock and cream; bring to boil, whisking constantly. Cook until mixture thickens, stirring frequently, about 2 minutes.
Remove from heat. Stir in spinach, cheese, sour cream and cayenne (spinach will wilt). Season with salt and pepper. Transfer dip to serving bowl. Serve warm with toasted baguette slices.
This recipe yields about 3 cups.