Strawberry Ombre Cake
- ounce) package fresh strawberries, washed, hulled* Cake 1 (15.25
- to 16.5
- ounce) package white cake mix 1/4 cup Land O Lakes® Butter, melted 3 Land O Lakes® All
- Natural Egg whites 3 tablespoons water Red food color Frosting 1/2 cup Land O Lakes® Butter, softened 1 (8
- ounce) package cream cheese, softened 6 cups powdered sugar Sliced fresh strawberries, if desired
Adapted from keyingredient.com
1. Heat oven to 350°F. Grease and lightly flour 2 (8-inch) round baking pans; set aside.
2. Place strawberries into 5-cup blender container. Cover; blend until smooth.
3. Combine 1 cup prepared strawberries, cake mix, 1/4 cup butter, egg whites, water and 3 drops food color in large bowl. Beat at low speed 30 seconds or until mixed. Beat at medium speed, scraping bowl occasionally, 2 minutes or until well mixed.
4. Spread about 3/4 cup batter into 1 prepared pan. Add 5 drops red food color to remaining batter; beat until well mixed. Remove about 3/4 cup batter; spread into another prepared pan.
5. Bake 9-12 minutes or until toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes; remove from pans to cooling rack. Cool completely. Clean pans; grease and lightly flour pans.
6. Repeat with remaining batter adding 9 drops food color to third layer, 12 drops to fourth layer and 15 drops to fifth layer. Bake and cool cakes as directed above.
7. Combine 1/4 cup prepared strawberries, 1/2 cup butter and cream cheese in large bowl; beat at medium speed until well mixed. Add powdered sugar; beat at low speed until smooth.
8. Assemble cake by placing 1 tablespoon frosting in center of serving plate; place darkest layer, bottom-side up, in center of plate. Spread about 1/2 cup frosting evenly over layer; top with next darkest layer. Continue with cake layers and frosting until all layers are stacked; frost top and sides of cake.
9. Top with fresh sliced strawberries, if desired. Store refrigerated.
*Substitute 1 (16-ounce) package frozen strawberries, thawed, drained.