Pan-fried crab cakes with old bay seasoning
- 1 lb lump crabmeat (remove cartilage)
- 4 medium scallions, green part only, minced (about 1/2 cup)
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley or cilantro, dill or basil chopped
- 11/2 tsp old bay seasoning
- 2 tbsp dry bread crumbs, or up to 1/4 cup
- 1/4 cup mayo
- Table salt
- Ground black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup un bleached all-purpose flour
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
1 gently mix crab meat, scallions, herb, old bay, bread crumbs and mayo in medium bowl, being careful not to break up crab lumps. Season with salt and white pepper to taste. Carefully fold in egg with rubber spatula until mixture just clings together.
2 divide crab mixture into four portions and shape each into a fat, round cake, about 3 inches across and 11/2 inches high. Arrange on baking sheet lined with waxed paper, cover with plastic wrap and chill at least 30 min. ( can refrigerate up to 24 hours)
3 put flour on plate or in pie tin. Lightly dredge crab cakes. Heat oil in large, preferably nonstick skillet over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Gently lay chilled crab cakes in skillet, pan-fry until outsides are crisp and browned, 4 to 5 min per side. Serve hot, with or without following sauce.