Wheat-Free Kabocha Cornbread
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch or arrowroot
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup prebaked or steamed Kabocha squash pureed (or other winter squash)
- 1 cup apple juice (or water or non-dairy milk)
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons safflower oil
Lightly oil (or spray with a light mist of oil) a 9-inch square baking pan and set aside.
In a small bowl, sift together the brown rice flour, cornmeal, cornstarch, baking powder, and baking soda, and set aside.
In a medium bowl, place the remaining ingredients, and whisk well to combine. Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients, and stir only until well blended with no visible lumps.
Pour the batter into the greased baking pan, and bake at 400 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until golden brown on top and an inserted toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool slightly before cutting into 9 pieces.
This recipe yields one 9-inch square or 9 pieces.