Rice-stuffed Tomatoes and Peppers
This dish incorporates the flavours of summer. It is important to use tomatoes that are in season in order to get the best taste.
- 6 ripe tomatoes
- 4 ripe green peppers or cubanelles
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 1 cup loosely packed fresh parsley
- 2-3 cups rice
- 4-5 baking potatoes
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Slice the tops of each tomato and scoop out the inside flesh using a spoon. Put the tops back on the tomatoes until ready to stuff.
3. Slice the tops of each pepper and clean out the inside. Put the tops back on until ready to stuff.
4. Put the tomato flesh in a food processor. Add the onion and parsley. Pulse until the ingredients are combined. Empty the mixture into a large bowl.
5. To the mixture add 3/4 cup olive oil, rice and salt and pepper. The mixture should taste salty. Once the stuffing cooks in the vegetables, it will lose a lot of its saltiness as it will be absorbed by the tomatoes and peppers.
6. Fill each tomato and pepper with the rice stuffing and place in a baking pan.
7. Peel the baking potatoes and cut them into wedges. Put them into a bowl and drizzle with olive oil. Season with salt and pepper, and add to the pan, dispersing them evenly around the vegetables.
8. Drizzle the entire pan with more olive oil to ensure there's a thin layer on the bottom. Roast the vegetables for about an hour until the vegetables are tender and toasty brown, and the rice is cooked.
9. Serve one of the stuffed vegetables and some potatoes for each serving.