Frittata: Ham and Gruyere Frittata
- 2 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons half-and-half
- Table salt and ground black pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 pound asparagus , trimmed of tough ends, spears cut on the bias into 1/4-inch pieces
- 1 medium shallot , minced (about 3 tablespoons)
- 4 ounces deli-style baked ham , 1/4-inch-thick, cut into 1/2-inch cubes (about 3/4 cup)
- 3 ounces Gruyère cheese , cut into 1/4-inch cubes (about 3/4 cup)
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 15mins
Adapted from keyingredient.com
1. Adjust oven rack to upper-middle position, about 5 inches from heating element; heat broiler. Whisk eggs, half-and-half, 1/2 teaspoon salt, and 1/4 teaspoon pepper in medium bowl until well combined, about 30 seconds. Set eggs aside.
2. Heat oil in 12-inch nonstick ovensafe skillet over medium heat until shimmering; add asparagus and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned and almost tender, about 3 minutes. Add shallot and ham and cook until shallot softens slightly, about 2 minutes. Stir Gruyère into eggs; add egg mixture to skillet and cook, using spatula to stir and scrape bottom of skillet, until large curds form and spatula begins to leave wake but eggs are still very wet, about 2 minutes. Shake skillet to distribute eggs evenly; cook without stirring for 30 seconds to let bottom set.
3. Slide skillet under broiler and broil until frittata has risen and surface is puffed and spotty brown, 3 to 4 minutes; when cut into with paring knife, eggs should be slightly wet and runny. Remove skillet from oven and let stand 5 minutes to finish cooking; using spatula, loosen frittata from skillet and slide onto platter or cutting board. Cut into wedges and serve.