- FOR PARFAITS:
- 1/2 cup chilled whipping cream
- 8 large egg yolks
- 1/3 cup sugar plus
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons coffee liqueur
- 2 tablespoons instant espresso powder
- 2 containers mascarpone cheese - (8 oz ea) see * Note
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 3 tablespoons Grand Marnier or other orange liqueur
- 1 tablespoon grated orange peel
- FOR EXPRESSO SYRUP:
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons instant espresso powder
- 4 purchased biscotti
- Cocoa powder
* Note: Italian cream cheese available at Italian markets and many supermarkets. If unavailable, blend 3/4 pound cream cheese with 6 tablespoons whipping cream and 1/4 cup sour cream.
Make Parfaits: Beat cream in small bowl until stiff peaks form. Cover; chill. Combine 4 yolks, 1/3 cup sugar, 3 tablespoons water, liqueur and espresso powder in medium metal bowl. Set bowl over saucepan of simmering water (do not let bowl touch water). Using handheld mixer, beat mixture until thickened and thermometer registers 175 degrees, about 5 minutes. Remove from over water; beat until mixture cools, about 6 minutes. Fold in one 8-ounce container mascarpone, then half of whipped cream. Refrigerate espresso cream mixture.
Combine remaining 4 yolks, orange juice, remaining 1/4 cup sugar, Grand Marnier and orange peel in another medium metal bowl. Set bowl over saucepan of simmering water (do not let bowl touch water). Using handheld mixer fitted with clean dry beaters, beat yolk mixture until thickened and thermometer registers 175 degrees, about 7 minutes. Remove from over water; continue beating until mixture cools, about 6 minutes. Fold in second container of mascarpone, then remaining whipped cream.
Spoon 1/4 cup espresso mousse, then 1/4 cup orange mousse into each of four 10-ounce goblets. Repeat layering with remaining mousse mixtures. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
Make Espresso Syrup: Stir 1/2 cup water, sugar and espresso powder in small saucepan over medium heat until sugar dissolves. Refrigerate until cold.
Dip 1 biscotti halfway into espresso syrup. Insert syrup-coated section into 1 parfait. Repeat with remaining biscotti and syrup. Sprinkle cocoa over parfaits.
This recipe yields 4 servings.