Tempura Green Beans, Yellow Beans And Tofu
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 3/4 cups ice water
- 6 tablespoons low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 1/2 teaspoons wasabi paste see * Note
- 1/2 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1 package firm tofu - (14 oz)
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 24 yellow wax beans trimmed
- 24 thin green beans trimmed
* Note: Wasabi (horseradish) paste is sold at Japanese markets and some supermarkets.
Combine first 5 ingredients in blender. Add 1 3/4 cups water and blend until smooth. Transfer batter to shallow dish.
Whisk soy sauce, lime juice, wasabi and red pepper in small bowl to blend.
Cut tofu horizontally into 1/2-inch-wide slices. Cut each slice into 1/2-inch-wide logs. Arrange tofu in single layer on several layers of paper towels. Cover with paper towels. Let stand 1 hour.
Pour enough oil into heavy large Dutch oven to reach depth of 3 inches. Heat oil to 375 degrees. Working in batches, dip beans into batter, shake off excess and add to oil. Fry until golden, stirring often, about 3 minutes per batch. Using slotted spoon, transfer to paper towels; drain. Repeat with tofu and batter.
Serve beans and tofu with sauce.
This recipe yields 6 servings.