Per serving: 113 calories, 3.4 grams fat, 17.7 grams carbs
- 1 box (16 oz) hot roll mix
- 1 tsp. dry yeast
- 2 tbsp. butter or margarine, softened
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 tbsp. each poppy, caraway and sesame seeds
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Place the bread mix and yeast in a large bowl. Stir in 1 cup hot water, butter and egg until a soft dough forms. Turn the dough out on a lightly floured surface and knead until smooth, about 5 minutes.
2. Place the dough in a lightly greased bowl and cover loosely with plastic wrap. Let rest for 5 minutes. Turn the dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Punch down the dough and knead gently.
3. Divide the dough into 18 equal pieces. Roll each piece into an 8-inch long rope. For a fancier effect, twist ropes around a wooden spoon handle to shape.
4. Arrange the dough on 2 greased baking sheets. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rise until almost double in size, 20-30 minutes. Uncover and brush with water.
5. Sprinkle with Parmesan or a combination of seeds. Bake the breadsticks until golden, 15-20 minutes. Cool slightly on a wire rack before serving.