Use a silver tip roast for best results.
- 1 4-5 pound boneless roast, tied
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 carrots peeled and cut into 2 inch pieces
- 1 onion cut into 1/2 inch rounds
- 1 celery rib cut not 2 inch pieces
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 2 (10.5 oz) cans beef consommé
1) Season Meat: Pat roast dry with paper towels and rub with 2 teaspoons salt. Wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerator for at least 1 hour or up to 24 hours.
2) Brown Roast: Adjust oven rack to middle position and heat oven to 225 degrees. Pat roast dry with paper towels and rub with 2 teaspoons pepper. Heat oil in large oven safe skillet over medium high heat until just smoking. Brown roast all over, 8 to 12 minutes; transfer to a plate.
3) Roast Beef: Pour off all but 3 tablespoons of fat from pan. Add butter and melt of medium heat. Cook carrots, onion, and celery until lightly browned, 6 to 8 minutes. Add flour and tomato paste and cook until dollar is golden and paste begins to darken, about 2 minutes. Off head, push vegetables to center of pan. Place roast on top of vegetables and transfer skillet to oven. Cook until meat races 125 degrees (for medium rare), 2-1/2 to 3-1/2 hours. Transfer roast to carving board, tent with foil and let rest for 20 minutes.
4) Make Gravy: Meanwhile, keeping in mind skillet handle is hot, return skillet with vegetables to medium high heat and cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are deep golden brown, about 5 minutes. Slowly whisk in consommé and water, scraping up any browned bits, and bring to a boil.. Reduce heat to medium and simmer until thickened, about 10 - 15 minutes. Use and immersion blend to liquify or press through strainer.
5) Carve: Remove twine and thinly slice roast.