Chicken and Wild Rice Casserole with Butternut Squash and Cranberries
A cozy and filling chicken and wild rice casserole made with butternut squash and cranberries. This easy and healthy chicken dinner is a winner every time!
- 1 cup uncooked wild rice blend (3 cups cooked)
- 4 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 1/4 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 small butternut squash, about 1 1/2 pounds, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces (about 5 cups cubes)
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, plus additional for garnish
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries (I prefer the ones with reduced sugar)
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese, divided (about 2 ounces)
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 55mins
Adapted from wellplated.com
1. Cook the rice according to package directions. Drain off any excess cooking liquid and set aside.
2. Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Lightly coat a 9x13-inch baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
3. In a large, deep skillet, heat 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium heat. Add the diced chicken and sauté until the chicken is cooked through and no longer pink on the inside, about 6 minutes. Remove to a paper towel-lined plate and set aside.
4. With a paper towel, carefully wipe the skillet clean. Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil over medium. Add the diced squash, onions, salt, and pepper. Sauté until the onion begins to soften, about 2 minutes. Cover and cook, stirring occasionally, until the squash is tender but still retains some chew, about 6-8 minutes. Stir in the thyme, cranberries, reserved chicken, rice, and 1/4 cup Parmesan.
5. Transfer the mixture to the prepared baking dish. Bake in the oven for 20 minutes, then remove from the oven and sprinkle with the remaining 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Bake 5 additional minutes, until the cheese melts. Sprinkle with additional chopped fresh thyme and serve warm.
You'll also love
- ICED RAISIN BREAD 0/5 (0 Votes)
- SMOTHERED PORK CHOPS BY SWEETIE... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Slow Cooker Pot Roast with... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Cheesy Lasagna Stuffed Garlic... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Roasted Butternut Squash Ribbons 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Copy-Cat Panera Cream of Chicken... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Chicken And Wild Rice Soup 0/5 (0 Votes)