French-Style Beef Stew
French-Style Beef Stew is the most delicious way to warm up any time there is a chill in the air. French flavors like Dijion mustard, fresh thyme, and rich mushrooms come together with meaty beef to make a real crowd-pleasing meal that is best served with your favorite crusty bread.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1.5-pounds beef top round, trimmed and cut into 1 1/2-inch chunks
- 1 sweet potato, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 2 cups dry white wine
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can whole peeled tomatoes, broken up and juice reserved
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 fresh thyme sprigs tied together with kitchen string, plus 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1-pound oyster, chanterelle, or white mushrooms, halved or quartered if large
Preparation time 30mins
Cooking time 160mins
Heat oil in medium Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion and garlic; cook, stirring, until onion is softened, about 5 minutes.
Reduce heat to medium. Add beef, sweet potato, white wine, canned tomatoes and their juice, Dijon mustard, thyme sprig bundle, and salt and pepper to taste, to Dutch oven; bring to boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, 1 hour.
Add mushrooms to pot and simmer, covered, until meat is fork-tender, about 1 hour longer. Remove and discard thyme sprigs. Serve sprinkled with thyme leaves.
You'll also love
- Chicken in White Wine 4.5/5 (71 Votes)
- Lemon Cream Cheese Bars 4.5/5 (72 Votes)
- Tropical Pineapple Coconut Banana... 4.5/5 (74 Votes)
- Entenmann’s Cheese Filled Crumb... 4.1/5 (179 Votes)
- Pumpkin Rice Krispie Treats 4.5/5 (68 Votes)
- Blackened Pork Chops 4.2/5 (113 Votes)
- Subway Sweet Onion Sauce 3.9/5 (147 Votes)
- Beef Tips in Mushroom Sauce -... 4.4/5 (81 Votes)