Spiced Chocolate Chunk Walnut Cookies
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter - (1 1/2 sticks) room temperature
- 1/2 cup golden brown sugar - (packed)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 14 ounces semisweet chocolate coarsely chopped
- 1 cup coarsely-chopped toasted walnuts
- Powdered sugar
Beat first 3 ingredients in large bowl until light and fluffy. Add egg and vanilla and beat until blended. Sift flour, salt, ginger, cinnamon and baking soda into butter mixture. Beat until blended. Stir in chocolate and walnuts. Refrigerate dough until firm, about 1 hour.
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 heavy large baking sheets with parchment paper. Form dough into balls, using generous tablespoon for each. Roll each ball in powdered sugar. Place on prepared baking sheets, spacing 2 inches apart.
Bake cookies until golden brown, about 18 minutes. Transfer baking sheets to racks. Cool 5 minutes. Transfer cookies to racks and cool completely. (Can be prepared 2 days ahead. Store in airtight container at room temperature.)
This recipe yields about 24 cookies.