Italian Orzo Soup with Sausage Meatballs, Spinach and Tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 celery stalks, chopped
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 cans diced tomatoes
- 2 cups water (I add some of this water to cans of tomatoes with water to get extra flavor)
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 cup whole wheat orzo
- 1 lb fresh Italian chicken or turkey sausage, out of casings and rolled into small meatballs (see tip below)
- 2 handfuls fresh spinach or baby kale (I used a fresh spinach and baby kale blend)
1.In a large pot, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat and add onions, garlic and celery. Saute for 2-3 minutes until all starts to soften and become fragrant.
2.Add tomatoes, chicken stock, water, oregano, parsley, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil. Add orzo and sausage meatballs.
3.Bring to another boil then let simmer on low heat for 12 minutes. Stir in fresh spinach and/or baby kale and continue to cook for 5 more minutes. Taste for salt and pepper and adjust.
4.Serve with fresh Parmesan cheese.
Tip: Buy fresh Italian sausage links (chicken, turkey or pork) and use it to make easy meatballs for soup like this. Squeeze about an inch or so of the fresh ground sausage meat out of the casing and roll into a small meatball. Continue to do this will all of the sausage links. Easy meatballs!
You'll also love
- Baked Cod with Cherry Tomatoes... 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Middle Eastern Kofta Kebabs with... 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Turkey Noodle Casserole 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Elbow Macaroni with Spinach 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Chicken Breakfast Sausage 4/5 (1 Votes)
- SPINACH RAVIOLI CASSEROLE 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Shrimp, Lettuce and Tomato Cups 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Herbed Orzo Pilaf 4/5 (1 Votes)