Real Roman Burgers
- 1 cup finely-diced onion
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup finely-diced carrot
- 1/2 cup finely-diced red pepper
- 1/2 cup finely-diced zucchini
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 2 cans Roman beans - (15 oz ea) drained, rinsed
- 3 tablespoons tamari (or soy sauce or Bragg Liquid Aminos)
- 3 tablespoons ketchup
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats (not instant)
- Olive oil for oiling skillet
- 8 Sesame Seed Buns (see recipe), split (or whole grain buns)
- Lettuce, onion, and tomato slices (or other toppings of choice)
- Condiments of choice
In a non-stick skillet, saute the onion in the olive oil for 1 minute over medium heat. Add the carrot, red pepper, and zucchini, and saute an additional 3 minutes. Add the garlic, basil, oregano, and sage, and saute an additional 2 to 3 minutes or until the vegetables are lightly browned. Remove the skillet from the heat and set aside.
In a large bowl, place the Roman beans, and using a potato masher or spoon, roughly mash the beans. Add the tamari, ketchup, mustard, salt, and pepper, and stir well to combine. Add the sauteed vegetables, fold them into the bean mixture, then add the oats, and stir thoroughly to combine. Wipe out the non-stick skillet with a clean, lint-free towel, and reuse for cooking the burgers.
Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper. Using a plastic 1/2-cup measuring cup, portion out 8 burgers onto the parchment paper, and press the burgers with a burger press or your hands to flatten them slightly. Chill the burgers for 30 minutes.
Using a little olive oil, lightly oil (or spray with a light mist of oil) the non-stick skillet. In batches, cook the burgers until well browned on each side, about 3 to 5 minutes per side. Add more oil to the pan, if needed, to prevent the burgers from sticking. Serve on buns with your choice of toppings and condiments.
This recipe yields 8 burgers.