Chicken Enchilada Stuffed Shells
- 2 (8oz) cans tomato sauce
- 2 teaspoons white wind vinegar
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 24 Jumbo Pasta Shells
- 1 (10 oz) can enchilada sauce (medium spiciness)
- 1 (15 oz) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 6 oz (50% reduced fat sharp cheddar cheese shredded (Cabot brand was used)
Preheat over to 350, Lightly mist a 9 X 13 baking sidh with cooking spray and set aside.
1. In a medium bowl, mix together the tomato sauce, vinegar, garlic, chili powder, cumin, oregano, sugar, salt and pepper until thoroughly combined.
2. In a large skillet or saute' pan, bring the oil to medium high heat. Add teh chopped onions and cook for a couple minutes until they start to soften and become
fragrant Add the chicken breasts in a single layer and cook for 3 minutess on one side, flip them over, and then continue to cook for 3 minutes on the other side. Add the tomato sauce mixture to the pan an bring it to a boil. Lower the heast to medium-low and cover the pan. Simer for about 20 minutes until the chicken is fully cook through.
3. While the chicken is cooking, boil water and cook the pasta shells according to the package directions. Drain ad set aside to cool.
4. Remove the lid from the pan and transfer the chicken breasts to a cutting board, leaving the sauce. Add the can of enchilada sauce to teh sauce in the pan and stir to combine. Reduce heat to low and recover until needed.
5. Shred the chicken using two forks and transfer it to a large bowl. Add 1/2 cup (2 ounces) of shredded cheddar, the black beans and 1/2 cup of he sauce from the pan. Stir until well combined.
6. Spread 1/2 cup of the sauce from the pan across the bottom of teh prepared backing dish. Using the chicken filling, stuff the cooled pasta shells evenly with filling and place them on top of the sauce in the prpared baking dish. Once the shells are in place, pour the remainder of the sauce from the pan over the tops of the stuffed and follow with the remaining shredded cheddar cheese. Place in the oven and bake for 30 minutes until the dish is heated through and cheese is melted.
375 calories, 42 g carbs, 6 g sugars, 8 g fat, 3 g saturated fat, 24 g protien,6 g fiber