Chili, All American
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 large chopped onion
- 1/2 of large green pepper, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1/2 cup hot water
- 2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1 tsp. sugar
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. oregano leaves
- 1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
- 1 can (15 oz.) small red beans, or kidney, drained
- 1 can (14-1/2 oz. diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 to 2 tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tbsp. cold water
Brown beef, onion, green pepper and garlic until meat is no longer pink; drain if necessary.
Put in a large pot.
Stir chili powder into cold water, and add to meat mixture; add all remaining ingredients except for beans.
Bring to boil and reduce heat.
Simmer covered for about 40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Add drained beans and heat for about 5 more minutes, uncovered.
If desired serve with sour cream, shredded cheese and chopped onion.