Red Flannel Hash
- 2 cups red-skinned potatoes in 1/2" pieces - (abt 11 oz)
- 1 1/2 cups peeled sweet potatoes in 1/2" pieces - (abt 6 1/2 oz)
- 1 cup peeled beets in 1/2" pieces - (abt 2 small)
- 8 bacon slices chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup whipping cream
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
Place steamer rack in large pot. Fill pot with enough water to come just to bottom of rack. Place all potato pieces on steamer rack. Bring water to boil over high heat. Cover pot. Steam potatoes until tender, about 13 minutes. Transfer to bowl.
Place beets on steamer rack; steam until tender, about 10 minutes. Transfer to bowl with potatoes.
Cook bacon in heavy large skillet over medium heat until brown and crisp. Transfer bacon to paper towels and drain. Reserve 1 tablespoon drippings in skillet. Add bacon, onion, parsley, whipping cream, salt and pepper to vegetables in bowl.
Heat drippings reserved in skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in hash mixture. Flatten with spatula to compact. Cook hash until brown on bottom, about 4 minutes. Continue cooking until heated through, stirring up bottom crust occasionally, about 10 minutes. Divide hash among 4 plates and serve.
This recipe yields 4 servings.