Beef Barley Soup
- 1 beef round steak, about 1/2 lb (225 g), diced (see note)
- 3 tablespoons (45 ml) olive oil
- 1 large onion, thinly sliced
- 8 oz (227 g) small white button mushrooms, quartered
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup (125 ml) hulled barley
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 cups (1 litre) beef broth
- 1 cup (250 ml) water
- Salt and pepper
Preparation time 20mins
Cooking time 90mins
Adapted from ricardocuisine.com
In a large saucepan, brown the meat in the oil. Season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a plate.
In the same pan, brown the onion and mushrooms. Season with salt and pepper. Add oil, if needed. Add the carrots, barley, and garlic and sauté for 2 to 3 minutes. Return the meat to the pan. Add the broth and water and bring to boil.
Cover and simmer for about 1 hour or until the barley and meat are tender. Adjust the seasoning. Add broth, if needed.
You'll also love
- Beef & Barley Soup Rootitoot 0/5 (0 Votes)