Baked Beans - Instant Pot
Despite being called baked beans. most baked bean dishes are slowly simmered. This pressure cooker recipe cuts 2/3 off the cooking time. The sweet, smokey, sticky sauce is full of great flavors and is the perfect accompaniment to your summer grilling adventures.
- 1 pound dried navy beans
- 8 cups water
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 10-ounces (8 slices) thick-sliced bacon, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1/2 cup molasses
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1/4 cup brown sugar, packed
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 60mins
Adapted from pressurecookingtoday.com
Rinse beans in a colander and sort through the beans to remove any debris. Soak beans overnight in the pressure cooking pot with 8 cups water mixed with 1 tablespoon salt. * Drain and rinse the beans; discard the soaking liquid.
Select Browning and add bacon to pressure cooking pot. Cook until crisp, about 5 minutes. Remove bacon to a plate lined with paper towels. Cook the onion in bacon drippings until tender, about 3 minutes. Scrape up brown bits on the bottom of the pot as the onions cook.
Add 2 1/2 cups water, molasses, ketchup, brown sugar, dry mustard, 1/2 teaspoon salt and pepper to the onions in the pot and stir to combine.
Stir in the soaked beans.
Select high pressure and 35 minutes cook time. When timer beeps, turn pressure cooker off and wait for 10 minutes, after 10 minutes use a quick pressure release to release any remaining pressure. Discard any beans that are floating, Check several beans to see if they're tender. If not, pressure cooker for a few minutes longer.
Stir in cooked bacon. Select Simmer and simmer beans uncovered, stirring occasionally so the bottom doesn't burn, until the sauce is the desired consistency.
*If you don’t have time for an overnight soak, use the Browning setting to bring the salted water to a boil. Boil beans for two minutes. Turn pressure cooker off and let beans soak one hour. Proceed with the recipe as directed.
You'll also love
- Shrimp and Bacon Pizza 4/5 (20 Votes)
- Key Lime Mustard Sauce Olivia's,... 4.1/5 (18 Votes)
- Strawberry Mango Jelly With Cream 3.9/5 (13 Votes)
- Surf & Turf: Steak Oscar with... 4.1/5 (16 Votes)
- Shrimp Fajita Fettuccine 4.1/5 (20 Votes)
- Champagne Punch with Raspberry &... 4.2/5 (13 Votes)
- Olallieberry Crisp (or any kind of... 4/5 (17 Votes)
- Moosewood Black Bean-Sweet Potato... 3.7/5 (19 Votes)