Moroccan Vegetable Stew With Herbed Couscous
- 2 cups diced onion
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 5 cups vegetable stock divided
- 2 cups acorn or delicata squash in 1" pieces
- 2 cups butternut squash in 1" pieces
- 1 1/2 cups turnips in 1" pieces
- 1 1/2 cups carrot in 1" pieces
- 1 1/2 cups celery in 1" pieces including green tops
- 1 1/2 tablespoons ground cumin
- 2 teaspoons paprika
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 2 cups cabbage in 1" pieces
- 1 1/2 cups zucchini in 1" pieces
- 1 can chickpeas - (15 oz) drained, rinsed
- 1/3 cup freshly-chopped Italian parsley
- 2 cups couscous
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons freshly chopped dill
In a large pot, saute the onion in olive oil for 5 minutes or until soft. Add the tomato paste, stir well to coat the onions, and saute an additional minute to release its flavor.
Add 2 cups vegetable stock, acorn squash, butternut, turnips, carrot, celery, cumin, paprika, salt, and pepper, and stir well to combine. Cover, reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 20 minutes.
Add the cabbage, zucchini, and chickpeas, stir well, cover, and simmer an additional 15 minutes or until the vegetables are tender. Add 3 tablespoon chopped parsley, taste, and adjust seasonings as needed.
Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, place the remaining 3 cups vegetable stock, and bring to a boil. Add the couscous and salt, cover, remove from the heat, and set aside for 5 minutes.
Fluff the couscous with a fork and stir in the remaining chopped parsley and chopped dill, and fluff lightly to incorporate. Serve individual servings in bowls and top with a sprinkle of additional ground cumin, if desired.
This recipe yields 8 to 10 servings.