Chicken and Spinach Soup
By Sharon T
Nutrition Information for Chicken and Spinach Soup
Servings Per Recipe: 5 Serving 2 cups
PER SERVING: 391 cal., 13 g total fat (3 g sat. fat), 52 mg chol., 797 mg sodium, 46 g carb. (9 g fiber), 27 g pro.
Reducing oil will bring down cal to 371, deleting rice will bring the calories even more
- 2 tablespoons olive oil----1T
- 2 cups diced carrots------1/2 cup
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cans (14.5 oz each) reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 pkg (5 oz) Hodgson Mill garlic and herb quinoa and brown rice blend---Delete
- 2 cups yellow and red cherry or grape tomatoes
- 1/2 rotisserie chicken
- 1 bunch spinach, trimmed and rinsed well
- 1/2 cup turnips can (15 oz) garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed----White beans
- 1/2 cup red cabbage
- 1/2 cup fresh basil, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 5 tablespoons shredded Parmesan
Adapted from familycircle.com
1.Heat oil in a large lidded stockpot over medium heat. Add carrots and onion and cook 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook 1 additional minute. Add chicken broth and 3 cups water and additional veggies. Bring to a boil over high heat.
2.Stir in quinoa-rice blend. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer 15 minutes.
3.Meanwhile, quarter tomatoes and remove meat from chicken bones; discard skin and bones. Cut into bite-size pieces (you should have about 2 cups). Stir into soup along with spinach, beans, basil, salt and pepper. Cook 5 minutes.
4.Ladle soup into bowls and top each serving with 1 tbsp shredded Parmesan. Serve with crackers, if using.