ABC Nut Loaf
- 3/4 cup finely-diced onion
- 1/3 cup finely-diced celery
- 1 tablespoon olive oil plus
- additional for oiling pan
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1/2 cup finely-chopped almonds
- 1/2 cup finely-chopped Brazil nuts
- 1/2 cup finely-chopped cashews
- 1/4 cup freshly-chopped parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon rubbed sage
- 1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast flakes
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1/3 cup water
- 2 tablespoons Ener-G Egg Replacer
In a non-stick skillet, saute the onion and celery in the olive oil for 5 minutes or until almost tender. Add the garlic and saute an additional 1 minute. Add the almonds, Brazil nuts, cashews, parsley, thyme, and sage, stir well to combine, and saute the mixture an additional 2 to 3 minutes or until the nuts are fragrant. Remove the skillet from the heat.
In a medium bowl, place the breadcrumbs, nutritional yeast flakes, salt, and pepper, and stir well to combine. In a small bowl, place the water and egg replacer, and whisk vigorously for 1 minute or until very frothy. Add the nut mixture and egg replacer mixture to the breadcrumb mixture and stir well to combine.
Using a little olive oil, lightly oil (or mist with oil) an 8- by 12-inch baking pan. Transfer the nut mixture to the prepared pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown and firm to the touch. Remove the pan from the oven and allow the loaf to cool for a few minutes before cutting into pieces. Serve as a main dish, sandwich filling, or add to soups, salads, and side dishes.
This recipe yields one 8- by 12-inch loaf.