Vegetable Frittata With Roasted Tomato Salsa
- ROASTED TOMATO SALSA:
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 large onion halved, and sliced thin - (2 cups)
- 1 1/2 cups diced red pepper - (1 large)
- 1 pound cremini mushrooms trimmed, sliced
- 2 pounds firm tofu drained
- 1 cup egg whites - (abt 10 to 12 large) (or nonfat egg substitute)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or 1/4 cup umeboshi plum vinegar)
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil (or 1 tbspn dried basil)
- 4 medium zucchini shredded - (4 cups)
- 12 ounces soy cheese or cheddar grated
- 4 ripe large tomatoes cored
- 1 large onion peeled
- 2 shallots peeled
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In medium skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion and pepper and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes.
Add mushrooms and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Remove skillet from heat.
In food processor, process tofu until smooth. Add egg whites, vinegar and basil and process until blended.
In large bowl, combine mushroom mixture, tofu mixture, zucchini and soy cheese and mix with rubber spatula.
Lightly coat inside of 9-inch deep-dish quiche pan with cooking spray. Spread mixture in prepared pan.
Bake until frittata is firm and top is lightly golden, about 1 1/2 hours.
Meanwhile, make salsa: Lightly coat baking sheet with cooking spray. Arrange tomatoes, onion and shallots on prepared sheet. Place in oven with frittata. Bake until tomato skins brown and blister, about 45 minutes.
In food processor or blender, process roasted vegetables and 1/4 teaspoon salt until smooth.
Pour sauce into medium saucepan. Heat over low heat until simmering. Pour into serving bowl and sprinkle with chives. Serve hot with frittata.
This recipe yields 8 servings.
Per Serving: 244 Cal; 20g Prot; 9g Total Fat (2 Sat. Fat); 22g Carb.; 8mg Chol; 610mg Sod.; 4g Fiber.