- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or basil
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme (or 1/4 tspn dried thyme)
- 5 cups diced fresh tomatoes - (2 lbs)
- 1 1/2 cups low-sodium vegetable broth
- 2 1/2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- Fresh herb sprigs for garnish
In large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion, garlic, oregano or basil and thyme and cook, stirring often, until onion begins to soften, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes and cook, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes. Stir in broth, tomato paste and sugar. Season to taste with salt and freshly ground pepper.
Bring soup to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes. Using immersion blender, process until smooth.
Ladle into serving bowls and garnish with fresh herbs.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
Per Serving: 137 Cal; 4g Prot; 4g Total Fat (1 Sat. Fat); 17g Carb.; 0mg Chol; 172mg Sod.; 3g Fiber.