Gingered Carrot Soup
- OPTIONAL GARNISH:
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup minced onion
- 1/4 cup minced peeled fresh ginger
- 3 cups chicken stock or more if needed (or canned low-salt chicken broth)
- 4 cups sliced peeled carrots - (abt 1 1/2 lbs)
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup matchstick-size strips peeled carrot
- 1 tablespoon matchstick-size strips peeled fresh
Heat oil in heavy large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and 1/4 cup minced ginger and sauté until onion is translucent, about 5 minutes. Add 3 cups chicken stock and 4 cups sliced carrots. Cover and simmer until carrots are tender, about 30 minutes.
Working in batches, puree mixture in blender or processor. Return soup to saucepan. Mix in orange juice, then half-and-half. Cook over low heat 5 minutes. Mix in ground cinnamon. Season soup to taste with salt and pepper. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate. Bring to simmer before continuing, thinning with more stock if necessary.)
Ladle soup into bowls. Top soup with carrot and ginger strips, if desired, and serve.
This recipe yields 4 to 6 servings.