Mexican-Style Shrimp Ceviche
- 1 pound small raw shrimp, deveined and unpeeled (41–50 per pound)
- 2 quarts water
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled, slightly crushed
- 3/4 cup lime juice
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 4 ounces white onion, diced
- 3 Roma tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced
- 2 small radishes, cut into matchsticks
- 1/4 cup cilantro, chopped
- 2 serrano peppers, seeded, deveined and diced
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1 Hass avocado, diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Lemon slices for garnishing
Adapted from hispanickitchen.com
1. Boil shrimp and garlic in water, salted to taste. Remove shrimp from water as soon as they turn pink, and drain. Immerse shrimp in a bowl of icy water for a few minutes to stop the cooking process. Let them rest for a few minutes prior to peeling.
2. Soak the shrimp in the lemon juice in a glass bowl, and cover with plastic. Refrigerate for a minimum of 30 minutes.
3. Add onions, tomatoes, radishes, cilantro, serrano chiles and ketchup to the shrimps, and mix gently. Add avocado and olive oil. Adjust seasoning.
4. Garnish with lemon slices. Serve on toast.