Beef and Bean Chili (Whole Foods)
Beef and Bean Chili
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground oregano
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 (15-ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup cooked kidney beans
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- Sea salt
- 1/2 cup chopped parsley
- Hot pepper sauce, to taste, (optional)
In a large soup pot or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and garlic, and cook 5 minutes, stirring frequently until onions are translucent.
Stir in chili powder, oregano, cumin and crushed red pepper and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Add ground beef and stir to brown the meat, 3 to 5 minutes.
Add tomato sauce, water and beans. Season with salt to taste, then bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 30 minutes, stirring often, until flavors have melded and sauce is thickened and bubbly. Stir in cilantro and hot pepper sauce, if desired.