- 1 package frozen bite-size soy "meat" - (10 1/2 oz) thawed
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 cup smoky barbecue sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown mustard
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 6 soft whole-grain rolls split (or hamburger buns)
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Heat griddle, grill or large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
While griddle heats, chop soy "meat" into approximately 1/2-inch pieces. Place in bowl, along with onion, garlic, barbecue sauce, mustard, tomato paste and syrup. Set aside and let stand for 10 minutes so flavors can meld.
Grill buns, split-side down, and set aside (this takes about 2 minutes on grill, 4 minutes in skillet).
In medium skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Add soy "meat" and marinade. Reduce heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until sauce thickens, about 10 minutes.
Arrange buns on each of 6 plates, cut sides up. Spoon barbecue mixture over each bun and serve hot.
This recipe yields 6 servings.
Per Serving: 169 Cal; 14g Prot; 4g Total Fat (0 Sat. Fat); 21g Carb.; 0mg Chol; 707mg Sod.; 5g Fiber.