Simple Soybean Burgers
- 1/4 cup tamari
- 3 cups cooked or canned soybeans rinsed, and drained if canned
- 1/4 cup sunflower oil (or other light oil)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne
- 2 large garlic cloves minced
- 1/2 cup grated carrots
- 1 celery stalk finely chopped
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper finely chopped
- 2 1/2 cups cooked millet
- 2 cups quick (not instant) rolled oats
- Additional light oil for browning
In food processor, combine soybeans, tamari, oil, cayenne and garlic. Process until smooth, then transfer to large mixing bowl.
Stir in remaining ingredients (except additional oil) in order listed, mixing well with each addition.
In large skillet, heat thin layer of oil or cooking spray over medium-high heat. Scoop out about a peach-size amount of bean mixture and shape into a patty (wet hands as necessary so they don't stick) and place each patty into hot oil. Brown on one side, then turn and brown other side 2 to 3 minutes. Repeat with remaining mixture.
This recipe yields 8 servings.
Per Serving: 355 Cal; 18g Prot; 15g Total Fat (2 Sat. Fat); 41g Carb.; 0mg Chol; 415mg Sod.; 8g Fiber.