Fettuccine Carbonara With Gorgonzola
- 1 pound fettuccine
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 2 1/2 packages frozen artichoke hearts - (8 oz ea) thawed, quartered
- 1 1/2 cups crumbled Gorgonzola cheese - (abt 6 oz)
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon dried crushed red pepper
- 1 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs beaten to blend
- 8 slices cooked bacon cut into 1" pieces
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese - (abt 3 oz)
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley
Cook pasta in heavy large pot of boiling salted water until tender but still firm to bite. Drain well, reserving 1/2 cup pasta cooking liquid.
Meanwhile, heat olive oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Add garlic and sauté 2 minutes. Add artichoke hearts; sauté 5 minutes. Add 1/2 cup Gorgonzola cheese, cream, half-and-half, crushed red pepper, black pepper and salt and simmer until sauce thickens, about 5 minutes.
Add hot pasta to sauce and toss to coat. Remove from heat. Add eggs to pasta and toss well. Add bacon, 1/2 cup Gorgonzola, 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese and parsley and toss to incorporate. Add reserved pasta cooking liquid to thin sauce, if desired. Sprinkle remaining 1/2 cup Gorgonzola and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese over pasta and serve.
This recipe yields 6 (first-course) or 4 (main-course) servings.
Prepare the sauce while the pasta is cooking to ensure that the fettuccine will be hot when the sauce is finished; the heat of the pasta cooks the raw eggs that are tossed with it.