Muzzy's Chocolate Cake & Icing
This is a heavy rich cake and was Dad's favorite.
- 2 cups Light Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Butter
- 2 Eggs (yolks separated from whites)
- 1/2 cup Sour Milk
- 2 cups Flour
- 1 tsp. Baking Soda (level)
- 1/2 cup Boiling Water
- 3 or 4 - 1 oz. squares of Bakers Chocolate
- Vanilla to taste Vanilla to taste
- 2 cups Confectioners Sugar
- 1 - 6oz. package of Toll House Tidbits
- 1/3 cup Milk
- 3 tblsps. Butter
Cream Sugar and Butter together, add Egg Yolks. Beat Egg Whites separately, then add. Add Sour Milk, then the Flour, then the melted Chocolate and Vanilla to taste.
Put the Baking Soda in the 1/2 cup of boiling Water and add it last of all to the mixture.
Bake in 2 - 9" greased and floured cake pans at 325 degrees for 1 hour.
Cake should be done when toothpick comes out clean but do not over cook.
Melt Sugar and Chocolate together, then add the Milk and Butter. Spread between cake layers, then ice the sides and the top.