TOFU VEGETABLE LOAF
This hearty loaf combines tofu with onions, carrots, garlic and parsley for a great alternative to meatloaf. Top slices of the tofu loaf with vegetarian mushroom gravy or pair with steamed brown rice.
- 1tablespoon1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1small1 small yellow onion, chopped
- 1large1 large carrot, chopped
- 2cloves2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/4cup1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 2(14-ounce) packages2 (14-ounce) packages firm tofu, drained
- 1cup1 cup bread crumbs, preferably whole wheat
- 11 egg, beaten (optional)
- 1/2cup1/2 cup ketchup
- 1tablespoon1 tablespoon tamari
- 1/2tablespoon1/2 tablespoon vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
- Olive oil cooking spray
Adapted from wholefoodsmarket.com
Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly oil a (9-inch) loaf pan with cooking spray; set aside.
Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion, carrot, garlic and parsley and cook until softened and golden brown, about 10 minutes. Meanwhile, wrap tofu in 3 or 4 layers of paper towels and gently press out as much water as possible, changing the paper towels once or twice as needed. Crumble tofu into a food processor and then add bread crumbs, egg, ketchup, tamari and Worcestershire and purée until smooth. Transfer to a bowl and stir in onion mixture.
Spoon tofu mixture into prepared loaf pan and smooth the top. Bake, uncovered, until deep golden brown and firm to the touch, about 1 hour. For easier
slicing, set aside to let cool until warm.
Per Serving: 190 calories (80 from fat), 9g total fat, 1.5g saturated fat, 25mg cholesterol, 410mg sodium, 15g carbohydrates, (3 g dietary fiber, 5g sugar), 14g protein.