- 4 spray(s) olive oil cooking spray
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1 1/2 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp table salt
- 3/4 cup(s) dried bread crumbs, panko-variety suggested
- 2 medium zucchini, about 7-inches each, cut into 4 chunks, then each chunk halved
- 2 large egg white(s), whipped until frothy (almost soft peaks)
Preheat oven to 425ºF. Coat a baking sheet with cooking spray. In a small bowl, mix together Italian seasoning, flour and salt. Place bread crumbs in another small bowl.
Dredge a zucchini fry in flour mixture and then dip into egg whites; dredge in bread crumbs. Place coated zucchini on prepared baking sheet and repeat with remaining ingredients; liberally coat with cooking spray.
Roast, turning once, until desired crispness, about 12 minutes. Yields about 8 fries per serving.
Use this technique with any summer squash or eggplant. It also works great with thick-cut onion rings or even green tomatoes.
For extra crispy fries, increase the oven temperature to 500ºF and knock 2 minutes off the cooking time.