Wilted Arugula With Braised Tempeh, Mango And Red Onion
- 1 package tempeh - (8 oz)
- 1/4 cup shoyu or soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup plus
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 4 tablespoons fresh lime juice
- 4 whole garlic cloves plus
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 4 slices fresh ginger
- 3/4 cup finely-chopped red onion - (1 small)
- 1/2 teaspoon prepared mustard
- 2 teaspoons minced jalapeño pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil plus
- 1 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 3 bunches fresh arugula
- 1 medium ripe mango peeled, sliced
Cut tempeh into 12 even strips. In large saucepan, combine 2 cups water, shoyu, 1 tablespoon maple syrup, 2 tablespoons lime juice, whole garlic cloves and ginger slices. Bring to a boil over high heat. Add tempeh, lower heat and simmer, uncovered, 15 minutes.
Remove tempeh from liquid and set aside. Add chopped onion to liquid and cook 1 minute. Remove with slotted spoon and place in small bowl. Discard garlic and ginger. Drizzle 1 tablespoon lime juice over onion, toss to coat and set aside.
In small bowl, whisk together remaining 1 tablespoon lime juice, 1 teaspoon maple syrup, mustard, minced garlic, jalapeño, and 2 tablespoons oil. Set dressing aside.
Remove long stems from arugula, wash and dry leaves well, and place in metal bowl. Peel and slice mango into 3/4-inch slices; set aside in separate dish.
In medium nonstick skillet, heat remaining 1 teaspoon oil over medium-high heat. Add tempeh and cook until browned, about 2 minutes on each side.
Toss arugula with dressing to coat. Place bowl over pot of simmering water to make a double boiler. Toss greens over the heat until they warm and just begin to wilt, about 2 minutes. Divide arugula onto plates and arrange mango and tempeh over greens. Sprinkle with reserved chopped onion and serve.
This recipe yields 4 servings.
Per Serving: 211 Cal; 8g Prot; 10g Total Fat (2 Sat. Fat); 23g Carb.; 0mg Chol; 67mg Sod.; 3g Fiber.
You'll also love
- Creamy Tomato Tortellini Soup 4.5/5 (871 Votes)
- Cracker Barrel Homemade Chicken &... 4.5/5 (811 Votes)
- Blood Orange Upside Down Cake 4.5/5 (736 Votes)
- Crock Pot Beef & Broccoli 4.5/5 (486 Votes)
- Smothered Chicken with Mushrooms &... 4.5/5 (379 Votes)
- Apple Brie Tarts 4.5/5 (311 Votes)
- Samoa Brownies 4.5/5 (287 Votes)
- Cheesy Chicken ‘n Spinach... 4.5/5 (217 Votes)