Crisp Potato Pancakes With Goat Cheese On Mixed Greens
- FOR SALAD:
- 1 tablespoon Sherry vinegar or balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons finely-chopped fresh chives
- 1 tablespoon finely-chopped shallot
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 4 cups mixed baby greens
- FOR PANCAKES:
- 2 russet potatoes peeled, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly-ground black pepper
- 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 ounces soft fresh goat cheese, such as Montrachet crumbled
- 4 teaspoons finely-chopped fresh chives
Make Salad: Whisk vinegar and mustard in small bowl. Gradually whisk in oil. Mix in chives, shallot and garlic. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Place greens in large bowl. Set aside.
Make Pancakes: Place potatoes in dry kitchen towel and squeeze to remove as much moisture as possible. Transfer potatoes to large bowl. Add salt and pepper and toss to combine.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in heavy large skillet over medium heat. Mound 1/3 cup potatoes in skillet. using spatula, flatten to 3-inch round. Repeat 3 times, forming 4 pancakes. Top each cake with 1/4 of goat cheese. Sprinkle each with 1 teaspoon chives. Cover each with another 1/3 cup potatoes; press to adhere, enclosing cheese completely and flattening slightly. Cook until bottoms are golden, about 6 minutes.
Add 1/2 tablespoon oil to skillet. Turn pancakes over; cook until golden, about 6 minutes.
Toss greens with enough dressing to coat. Divide salad among plates. Arrange 1 pancake atop each salad.
This recipe yields 4 servings.