Spicy Cranberry-Zinfandel Relish
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 3/4 cup red Zinfandel
- 1/4 teaspoon mustard seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 small onion peeled, diced fine
- 1 garlic clove finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons grated fresh ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne (or 1/2 ripe habanero chile, cut into very thin strips)
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar (or 2 tbspns brown rice syrup)
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar or white wine
Soak cranberries in wine. Set aside.
Heat nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. When hot, add mustard seeds, and toast until seeds begin to pop. Remove pan from heat, and add oil, onions, garlic, ginger and cayenne.
Return pan to heat, and sauté mixture until onions are translucent. Add sugar, salt and cranberries with soaking liquid. Cook mixture until it just boils. Reduce liquid by half. Add vinegar, remove from heat and cool completely.
This recipe yields 8 servings.
Per Serving: 80 Cal; 0g Prot; 0g Total Fat (0 Sat. Fat); 14g Carb.; 0mg Chol; 75mg Sod.; 1g Fiber; 11g Sugar.