Italian Meat Loaf
Bell peppers and basil add a distinct, Mediterranean twist to this traditional family favorite.
- 1 1/2 lb lean ground beef
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- 2 tsp chopped fresh basil leaves
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp ground mustard
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 egg
- 3/4 cup plain dry bread crumbs
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup ketchup, chili sauce, or barbecue sauce
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees F. Mix all ingredients except ketchup.
2. Spread mixture in ungreased 8x4- or 9x5-inch loaf pan, or shape into 9x5-inch loaf in ungreased 13x9-inch pan. Spread ketchup over top.
3. Insert ovenproof meat thermometer so tip is in center of loaf. Bake uncovered 1 to 1 1/4 hours or until beef is no longer pink in center and thermometer reads at least 160 degrees F. Let stand 5 minutes; remove from pan.