Creamy Parsnip Soup
- 2 1/4 pounds parsnips peeled, and cut into 1" pieces
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion chopped (abt 1 cup)
- 8 cups vegetable stock or canned vegetable broth
- 1/8 teaspoon ground allspice
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 8 bacon strips cooked, crumbled
- Sour cream (optional)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Spread out parsnips in single layer on rimmed baking sheet. Roast parsnips until brown, stirring occasionally, about 30 minutes.
Melt butter in heavy large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and sauté until beginning to brown, about 5 minutes. Add parsnips and sauté 5 minutes. Add stock and boil until parsnips are tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat.
Working in batches, puree soup in blender. Return to saucepan. Stir in allspice. Season with salt and pepper. (Can be made 2 days ahead. Cool, then cover and chill.)
Bring soup to simmer. Ladle into bowls. Top with bacon and dollop of sour cream, if desired, and serve.
This recipe yields 8 (first-course) servings.
There is no cream in this soup-pureeing the ingredients creates the silky texture.