Orange Salad With Pomegranates
- 1 cup paper-thin strips red onion
- 1/2 cup lemon juice
- 6 large Valencia oranges - (abt 4 lbs)
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 5 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Pomegranate Vinegar (see recipe)
- 1 cup diced pared cucumber - (1 med)
- 1 cup pomegranate arils
- 4 ounces black oil-cured olives - (abt 1 cup) (preferably Moroccan)
- Salt to taste
- 1 tablespoon finely-chopped mint
About 1 hour before making salad, place onion slices in bowl and marinate in lemon juice. Peel oranges and cut into thin, round slices with very sharp knife. Cut rounds in half and pick out seeds.
Place oranges in large work bowl, drain onion of all excess liquid and add onion to oranges. Sprinkle mixture with pepper. Combine oil and vinegar to make the vinaigrette.
Pour over oranges, cover and set aside in cool place to infuse for 30 minutes.
Add cucumber, pomegranate arils and olives. Adjust seasoning, then scatter mint over top and serve.
This recipe yields 6 servings.
Per Serving: 220 Cal; 3g Prot; 11g Total Fat (1 Sat. Fat); 31g Carb.; 0mg Chol; 125mg Sod.; 6g Fiber.
Wine Suggestions: Rosé and blush wines, such as American white Zinfandels, are a good beverage choice when pairing with foods that are fruity, acidic, spicy and complex, such as this salad.