Chicken and Potato Dumplings
From Southern Living
- 1 (4-pound) whole chicken, cut up
- 8 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 (10 3/4-ounce) can cream of chicken soup, undiluted
- 2 tablespoons dried minced onion
- 1 1/2 cups biscuit mix
- 1/2 cup instant potato flakes
- 2/3 cup milk
- Tip: Substitute 8 cups chicken broth for water; reduce salt to 1/4 teaspoon. Proceed with recipe using 3 to 4 cups chopped cooked chicken.
Preparation time 25mins
Cooking time 85mins
Bring first 5 ingredients to a boil in a Dutch oven; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 45 minutes or until chicken is tender. Remove chicken, reserving broth in Dutch oven. Cool chicken and broth.
Skim fat from broth. Skin, bone, and cut chicken into bite-size pieces; set aside. Whisk soup and minced onion into broth; bring to a boil.
Stir together biscuit mix, potato flakes, and milk. Turn dough out onto a heavily floured surface; roll or pat dough to ¼-inch thickness. Cut into ½-inch strips. Pinch off ½-pieces, and drop, 1 at a time, into boiling broth; add chicken. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 15 minutes.