Mashed Sweet Potatoes with Honey and Caramelized Apples
From The Washington Post
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes (3 to 4 medium potatoes)
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 large granny smith apple (9 ounces), peeled, cored, and cut into approximately 1/4-inch cubes
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 3 tablespoons honey, or more to taste
Preparation time 10mins
Cooking time 115mins
Place a large piece of aluminum foil directly on the middle rack of the oven, and preheat the oven to 350. Use a fork or skewer to prick the sweet potatoes on several sides. Transfer them to the aluminum foil and bake for 60 to 90 minutes, until juice is bubbling out of the sweet potatoes and they are soft to the touch. Let them cool for 15 minutes.
Heat the butter and oil in a medium nonstick saute pan or skillet over medium-high heat. Add the apple cube and stir; cook for 6 to 7 minutes, until it starts to soften, tossing every couple of minutes. Add the cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt and pepper to taste. Cook until the apple begins to brown. Remove from the heat.
Cut each sweet potato in half and scoop the insides into the bowl of a stand mixer or hand-held electric mixer; beat at medium speed until smooth. Add the honey and the caramelized apples, beating at low speed to combine. Taste, and adjust seasoning as needed. Serve warm.
You'll also love
- Beer-Battered Pumpkin with Dipping... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Almond-Crusted Scallops 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Pork Tenderloin Tacos with... 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Homemade Cranberry Nut Granola 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Creamy Mashed Potatoes 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Chicken-Pineapple Kabobs 0/5 (0 Votes)
- POTATO SOUP ( BEST EVER) 0/5 (0 Votes)
- Sweet Potato Casserole 0/5 (0 Votes)