Indian-Spiced Mini Shepherd's Pies
- 2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 pound carrots -- peeled, quartered lengthwise and chopped
- 1 large red onion, chopped
- 1 can (15 oz.) lentils
- 1 cup canned crushed tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh ginger
- 1 1/2 teaspoons garam masala
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1/2 cup plain whole-milk yogurt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh chives
Adapted from rachaelraymag.com
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees . In a large pot, cover the potatoes with 2 inches of water. Bring to a boil, salt the water and reduce the heat to medium. Cook until tender, about 12 minutes.
Meanwhile, in a large skillet, melt 1 tbsp. butter over medium-high heat. Add the carrots and onion and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables start to soften, about 5 minutes; season with salt and pepper. Stir in the lentils, tomatoes, ginger and garam masala. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens, 3 to 5 minutes. Stir in the peas, season and transfer to four 2-cup ramekins.
Drain the potatoes; return to the pot. Add the yogurt and remaining 5 tbsp. butter. Mash until smooth; season. Divide the mashed potatoes among the ramekins, spreading them over the vegetables. Bake until golden in spots, 10 to 15 minutes. Sprinkle with the chives.