Spicy Thai Chickpeas with Coconut, Lemongrass and Sweet Basil
- 2 large yellow onions, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 1 heaping Tbsp chili garlic sauce, or less as desired (it's hot)
- 1 large red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 cup frozen edamame, simply run under hot water and drain
- 3 cups cooked chickpea, thoroughly rinsed if using canned
- 1 cup sliced crimini mushrooms
- 1 generous nub of ginger, peeled and shaved*
- 2 Tbsp curry
- 2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp cumin
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 cup vegetable stock
- 2 limes, each cut into four quarters
- 2 lemongrass stalks, ends and rough exterior casing removed
- 2 Tbsp fish sauce,*optional* for non-vegetarians
- 1 large bunch fresh basil, some torn into pieces and some left intact
On stove top, sauté onion and chili garlic sauce with some olive oil in a large skillet, wok or pot set to low-medium heat until translucent, about 5 minutes or so.
Meanwhile, prepare lemongrass stalks by removing root end (bulb) and blades (if still there). Working from the middle section of the stalks, remove rough exterior layer/s until you get to the smooth white interior part of the lemongrass stalks. Slice the interior of the stalks very thin to reveal layered rings (a bit like an onion).
root end (bulb) removed, rough exterior layer removed + thinly sliced stalks
You can either use the thin lemongrass rings as such or, more commonly, you can break them down further by chopping, grinding or mincing them. Because lemongrass is quite firm and fibrous, it's often easier to eat it when it has been broken down further (a food processor or coffee grinder would work fine).
Sprinkle onion with curry, turmeric and cumin, mixing to combine.
Add coconut milk and vegetable stock to skillet and bring mixture to a gentle boil. Add bell pepper, edamame, chickpeas, mushrooms, lemongrass and ginger and reduce to lowest heat. Add most of the basil leaves (reserving some for garnish). Allow mixture to simmer for about 6 minutes before removing from heat.
Squeeze lime juice into skillet along with fish sauce if using. Mix all ingredients together and serve with a few more basil leaves on top.
You'll also love
- Pork Tenderloin alla Napoli 4/5 (1 Votes)
- APPLE CRISP, CAFETERIA STYLE 3.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Lemon Dream Cake 4/5 (1 Votes)
- LEMON COCONUT BUTTERMILK PIE 4/5 (1 Votes)
- COCONUT JEWEL COOKIES 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Black Bean Salad with Corn, Red... 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Chocolate and Black Bean Chile... 4/5 (1 Votes)
- Chickpea Tacos 0/5 (0 Votes)