Chicken-Orecchiette Soup With Cilantro And Lemon
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 skinless boneless chicken breasts (abt 12 oz total)
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
- 3 cups coarsely-chopped onions
- 3 plum tomatoes sliced
- 2 lemongrass stalks thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons coriander seeds
- 2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 2 teaspoons fennel seeds
- 8 cups chicken stock or canned
- low-salt chicken broth
- 1/2 cup chopped cilantro
- 8 ounces orecchiette pasta freshly cooked
- 3 plum tomatoes seeded, chopped
- 1/2 cup fresh lemon juice
- Fresh lemon slices (optional)
Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium-high heat. Sprinkle chicken with salt and pepper and sauté until cooked through, about 4 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to plate. Cool.
Add chopped onions and next 5 ingredients to pot and sauté over medium heat until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add stock and 1/4 cup chopped cilantro. Simmer 20 minutes to blend flavors.
Strain broth into heavy large saucepan. Slice cooked chicken crosswise into thin strips; add to broth. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead; cover and refrigerate.)
Add cooked pasta, chopped tomatoes, lemon juice and remaining 1/4 cup cilantro to soup. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Bring soup just to simmer. Ladle into bowls; garnish soup with lemon slices, if desired.
This recipe yields 6 servings.