Slow Cooker French Onion Soup
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 6 thyme sprigs
- 1 bay leaf
- 5 pounds large sweet onions, vertically sliced (about 16 cups)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 6 cups unsalted beef stock (such as Swanson)
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 24 (1/2-ounce) slices whole-grain French bread baguette
- 5 ounces Gruyère cheese, shredded (about 1 1/4 cups)
In the bowl of a slow cooker, combine the beer, 3 cups water, the chilies, adobo sauce, cumin, onion, beans, pork, and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. Set the slow cooker to high and cook, covered, until the beans are tender and the pork pulls apart easily, 4 to 5 1/2 hours. Using a fork, separate the pork into large pieces. Divide among individual bowls and top with the sour cream, salsa, and cilantro.
If You Don't Have a Slow Cooker: Heat oven to 300° F. Follow the recipe above using a Dutch oven or large casserole. Bake, covered, until the pork pulls apart easily, 4 hours.