Beet & Shrimp Winter Salad
This healthy dinner salad recipe gets its staying power from protein-packed shrimp and fiber-rich barley. With a simple red-wine vinaigrette, this quick salad makes just one serving but is easy to double or triple. Look for precooked beets with other prepared vegetables in the produce department.
- 2 cups arugula, lightly packed
- 1 cup watercress, lightly packed
- 1 cup cooked beet wedges
- 1/2 cup zucchini ribbons
- 1/2 cup fennel, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup cooked barley
- 4 ounces cooked, peeled shrimp, tails left on if desired
- Fennel fronds for garnish
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red- or white-wine vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon minced shallot
- 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 15mins
Adapted from EATINGWELL.COM
Arrange arugula, watercress, beets, zucchini, fennel, barley and shrimp on a large dinner plate.
Whisk oil, vinegar, mustard, shallot, pepper and salt in a small bowl, then drizzle over the salad. Garnish with fennel fronds, if desired.
To make zucchini ribbons, thinly shave whole zucchini lengthwise with a vegetable peeler.
Go for sustainably raised shrimp. Look for fresh or frozen shrimp certified by an independent agency, such as the Marine Stewardship Council. If you can't find certified shrimp, choose wild-caught shrimp from North America; it's more likely to be sustainably caught.
Give grains a cool down: To cool grains down quickly, spread them out on a foil-lined baking sheet. The surface area helps speed cooling, while the foil prevents any residual flavors on the pan from seeping in.
You'll also love
- Cherry and Pistachio Rugelach 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Turkey and Andouille Sausage Gumbo 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- PEAR MUFFINS, GLAZED 4.4/5 (10 Votes)
- Spinach Gunge 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Glazed Carrots with Goat Cheese... 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Citrus-Cured Trout with Meyer... 4.5/5 (2 Votes)
- Crab with Pasta - Bobby Flay 4.3/5 (3 Votes)
- Kung Pao Shrimp 4.5/5 (2 Votes)