BREAKFAST POPOVERS WITH ITALIAN SAUSAGE
- Butter for greasing the pan
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 (3 to 4 oz.) sweet or spicy Italian sausage links, casings removed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup shredded smoked mozzarella (4 ounces)
- 4 large eggs, at room temperature
- 2 cups milk, at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 small green onions, pale green and white parts only, finely sliced to yield 1/4 cup.
- 3 tbsp. chopped fresh basil
- 1 1/2 tsp. Kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- Maple syrup for drizzling
- Special Equip. One 12-cup nonstick muffin pan, each cup about 1/2 cup capacity, or a 12 cup popover pan, each cup about 1/2 cup capacity
Preparation time 15mins
Cooking time 55mins
Place an oven rack in the center of the oven and preheat to 400 deg.
Butter the muffin cups
Heat the oil over medium-heat in a medium nonstick skillet. Add the sausage and break it into 1/4 to 1/2 inch pieces using a wooden spoon. Cook until brown and cooked through, about 6 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until aromatic, about 30 seconds. Spoon about 1 1/2 tbsp. of sausage into each muffin cup. Sprinkle the cheese on top of the sausage.
Blend eggs in a blender until frothy, about 15 seconds. Add the milk,flour,green onions,basil,salt and pepper. Blend until just incorporated. Pour the batter into the muffin cups,filling each cup to just below the rim. Bake, without opening the oven door, until puffed and golden, about 15 minutes.
Place the popovers on a platter and drizzle with maple syrup.