- LEMON HONEY:
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Zest of one large lemon
- 2 large eggs, separated, at room temperature
- 2 cups unsweetened vanilla-flavored almond milk
- 3 tbsp. sugar
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 tsp. pure almond extract
- zest of one large lemon
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1/4 tsp. fine sea salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, melted
- 3/4 cup mini chocolate chips, optional
- Special Equipment: Waffle maker
Preheat the waffle maker. Lightly spray the waffle grills with vegetable oil cooking spray.
For the Lemon Honey: Heat the honey,lemon juice and lemon zest over medium heat in a small saucepan, stirring occasionally, until warm, about 4 minutes.
For Waffles: Beat the egg whites until they are thick and hold soft peaks using a whisk or an electric hand mixer in a medium bowl, about 2 minutes.
Combine the egg yolks,milk,sugar,vanilla extract,almond extract and lemon zest in a large bowl. Beat until smooth. Add the all-purpose flour,almond flour,baking powder and salt. Mix until smooth.
Fold the egg whites,butter and chocolate chips if using into the batter. Using the amount recommended by the waffle iron manufacturer's instructions, about 1/3 cup of batter for each waffle, pour the batter into the preheated waffle iron. Cook the waffles until golden brown, 3 to 4 minutes. Drizzle with lemon honey and serve