Caramelized Onion Jam
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large white onions peeled, and thinly sliced - (abt 4 cups)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped golden raisins
- Salt to taste
- Freshly-ground black pepper to taste
Heat olive oil over medium heat in large skillet. Cook onions, stirring occasionally, until just turning color.
Add sugar and continue to cook until onions are a rich, golden brown and very soft, 15 to 20 minutes total. If onions are browning too quickly, add 1 tablespoon water.
Stir in vinegar and raisins and season to taste with salt and pepper.
This recipe yields 1 1/2 cups.
Wine Suggestions: Complement this recipe with a rich Cabernet, Merlot or Syrah.